Macedon vs. Rome

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Macedon vs. Rome

Post by Leezard (Bob) on Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:41 pm

Livy seemed pretty confident that Rome would have been able to handle itself. Everyone I ask seems to think otherwise. You?
Leezard (Bob)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Macedon vs. Rome

Post by Earle on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:07 pm

Yeah, Livy's quote, which is in the textbook, seems pretty pro-Roman, but then Livy usually does. He's looking back at Pyhrrus' invasion in 280 BC into Italy and the Roman success there, and extrapolating. However, Alexander was very strong in his emphasis in cavalry, and in the 50 years from his death to the legions' first contact with the phalanx there was a noticeable reliance upon the infantry to win the battle, with the cavalry arm taking a mopping up action on the battlefield. IF Alexander had lived, in my opinion, he would have brought:

a. a much larger force
b. a force comprised with a core of Greek/Macedonian infantry with 3 to 4X there number in Persian and allied support
c. himself, always a factor on the battlefield
d. an enormous navy, with which to supply his forces abroad

I'm curious to see what you think once we hit upon Pyhrrus' invasion, to see what you think. Could Alexander have won against Carthage? Possibly..I would think he'd have come to allied terms with them. Carthage was all business, and if Alexander could secure their loyalty by way of leaving them alone (ala Sparta) they would accept. Syracuse in Sicily was Greek, as well as the bottom 1/3 of the Italian peninsula. I think Rome would have to have conceded defeat, if Alexander had invaded AND survived the campaign.

Makes one ponder....

Earle
Admin

View user profile http://aeneas.forumandco.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Leezard (Bob) on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:01 pm

I love Alexander and all, but did he just spam the hammer and anvil thing? I guess that can be said about most things in warfare though. Abuse something that works till the opposing side comes up with a counter. Longbow is a good example!
Leezard (Bob)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top